PEST PREVENTION TIPS FOR THE HOMEOWNER
See what measures you can take to prevent pests from becoming a problem in your house.
- Seal cracks in your home’s exterior to keep out pests like ants, spiders and cockroaches.
- Properly seal all doors and windows with tight-fitting screens and weather stripping.
- Be sure all doors and windows are properly sealed with tight-fitting screens and weather stripping.
- Don’t leave uncovered food sitting out. This includes pet food.
- Consider storing clothing in plastic boxes or pouches to prevent fabric pests from getting to the house
- Ensure the attic and crawlspace have sufficient ventilation. Research has shown that proper ventilation creates an environment unsuitable for cockroaches and other pests. It also improves the heating and cooling efficiency of the home.Remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, etc., around your home. They serve as a harborage for pests, especially rodents.
- Good sanitation and housekeeping practices inside are vital. This includes regular trash removal, discarding old boxes, old clothing and other seldom used items.
- Remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, etc., around your home. They serve as a harborage for pests, especially rodents.
- Good sanitation and housekeeping practices inside are vital. Good sanitation practices should include regular trash removal and discarding old boxes, old clothing and other seldom used items.
- Eliminate clutter in closets, attics and all storage areas.
- Dust and vacuum frequently around windows, corners of rooms, shelves, under furniture, behind mirrors and pictures.Perform a thorough housecleaning twice a year.
MOUSE PREVENTION TIPS
- Remove food and water sources
- Cover trash cans with snug, metal lids (mice can gnaw through plastic)
- Store pet and bird food in tightly sealed glass or metal containers.
- Elevate your compost container at least 1 foot off the ground
- Pick up around fruit trees so fallen fruit or nuts do not remain on the ground
- Clean up your garage, tightly contain lawn see, tulip bulbs and bone meal
- Remove opportunities for shelter
- Inspect your house for broken windows, damaged sills or siding and foundation cracks.
- Seal or screen over gaps around pipes and stove, dryer and foundation vents.
- Install flashing to keep pests from climbing up your siding and getting into the attic.
- Eliminate hiding places by removing ivy, trimming shrubs, elevating firewood, and keeping bushes away from the home’s foundation.